ESB International - Wind Energy
ESBI has been actively involved in the wind energy sector since the company's establishment and provided Owner's Engineering services to the Department of Energy for the construction of Ireland's first commercial wind farm in 1992.
Our parent company, ESB, has set the following targets:
- 600MW of on-shore wind generation in Ireland by 2012
- 200MW of wind generation in Great Britain by 2012
- 800MW of wind generation in Ireland from 2012 to 2020.
Wind Energy Solutions
ESBI offers an end-to-end engineering and consultancy solution incorporating all services required for wind farm design, assessment and construction through to commercial operation.
Wind Farm Development
- Initial Wind Resource Evaluation
- Wind Data Analysis
- Site Selection
- Meteorological Mast Procurement and Establishment
- Wind Farm Modelling / Optimisation
- Environmental Services
- Planning Applications
- Preparation of Permitting Documentation
- Technical Due Diligence
- Grid Application
- Project Management
Wind Farm Techno-Economic Analysis
- Financial Feasibility Studies
Wind Farm Construction
We have been actively involved in wind farm development in Ireland and abroad. Services have been provided in support of more than 30 wind farm developments on behalf of the ESB and other private clients.
Since 1999 ESBI has completed eight wind farms with a combined capacity in excess of 180MW:
- Culliagh Wind Farm, Co. Donegal - 18 x Vestas V47/660 turbines, 12MW in total. Commercial Operation Date: October 2000.
- Corneen Wind Farm, Co. Cavan - 2 x Enron TW1.55 turbines, 3MW in total. Commercial Operation Date: August 2001.
- Carnsore Point Wind Farm, Co Wexford - 14 x Vestas V52/850 turbines, 12MW in total. Commercial Operation Date: November 2002.
- Snugborough Wind Farm, Co. Cavan - 9 x GE Wind 1.5s/1.5MW turbines, 13.5MW in total. Commercial Operation Date: October 2003.
- Derrybrien Wind Farm, Co. Galway - 70 x Vestas V52/850kW turbines, 59.5MW in total.
- Mountain Lodge Wind Farm, Co. Cavan - 23 x 1.5MW turbines, 34.5MW in total. Commercial Operation Date: October 2008.
We are currently working on 4 projects with a combined capacity of 80MW.
- Garvagh Glebe, Co. Leitrim.
- Tullynahaw, Co. Roscommon
- Hunter's Hill, Co. Tyrone.
- Crockagarran, Co. Tyrone.
Grid connection applications with a combined capacity in excess of 2,000MW have been completed in the UK and Ireland.
In addition to ongoing projects in the Irish wind industry sector, we have provided wind farm engineering services to international clients in the UK, South Africa, Jordan, Poland and Spain.
Wind Energy Case Studies
- Arklow Banks Wind Farm(PDF | 931KB)
- Corneen Wind Farm(PDF | 2.0MB)
- Culliagh Wind Farm(PDF | 1.6MB)
- Carnsore Point Wind Farm(PDF | 1.6MB)
- Derrybrien Wind Farm(PDF | 1.6MB)
- Garvagh Glebe Wind Farm(PDF | 1.5MB)
- Mountain Lodge Wind Farm(PDF | 1.0MB)
- Snugborough Wind Farm(PDF | 610KB)
- Tullynahaw Wind Farm(PDF | 764KB)